Goodery Garden - Assistant Grower
Goodery is an online organic grocery marketplace. We connect local farmers, ethical businesses and conscious consumers. Together we want to redesign the local food value chain here in East Anglia to account for the societal and environmental costs that result from our current food habits. We do this with zero emissions and as little waste as possible.
We’ve started the Goodery Market Garden because we want to back the next generation of organic farmers. When we started this, we came to realise that access to capital and land was a major blocker for many new growers. That’s why we’re taking the step to cultivate some currently unused land on the lovely Organic Ash Farm in Bintree.
Working together, we can increase the demand for local, organically grown food by increasing consumer access; and strengthening the supply chain of organic food by giving local growers the market confidence to grow more organic food, encouraging connections between consumers and producers
We are taking on an Assistant Grower to join the Grower and the Goodery team, on the new site for its first growing season. We will grow vegetables, salads, herbs and edible flowers for our veg box scheme and for local restaurants. We are aiming to build strong links between the wider Goodery community and the market garden through volunteering and open days. The ideal candidate will be able to take on responsibilities for production and distribution of produce as well as working with volunteers and trainees. The role also involves work to establish the site including putting up polytunnels. This role is suitable for someone wishing to become a market gardener or who wishes to work in small scale food/crop production. This is a fixed term role, but has the potential to develop into a long-term opportunity with the right person.
Application deadline: Thursday 3rd March 5pm
Interviews: w/c 7th March
Start Date: Monday 14th March 2022
End Date: Friday 23rd December 2022
Details of the role
Contract: 41 weeks (9 months) - 21 hours per week
Salary: £11.00 per hour
Days: Monday, Wednesday and either Thursday or Friday (TBC)– though flexible hours can be agreed when required
Responsible to: Goodery Head Grower
Responsible for: Volunteers/trainees as appropriate
Overall Purpose: To assist Goodery in the sustainable production of vegetables for a certified Organic box scheme and local restaurants.
Assistant Grower Job Description
The assistant grower will demonstrate the skills required to assist in the production, distribution and volunteer/community building programme at the Goodery Garden. Specifically;
- Raising plants from seed and all areas of propagation.
- Irrigation, ensuring systems are managed and maintained
- Planting and maintaining glasshouse and polytunnel crops, field vegetables, salad leaves, green manures and companion plants
- Work with the site and planting plans
- Work to Soil Association Organic standards and to assist with detailed recording keeping
- Organic weed, pest and disease management
- Compost management
- Cultivating soils using hand tools and occasionally power machinery
Harvest and Distribution
- Harvest to agreed techniques and ensuring quality control
- Weighing, grading and packing produce
- Loading van
- Keeping harvest records
Working with Volunteers/Trainees
- Leading, supervising and allocating tasks with volunteers/trainees
- Working within a mentorship framework
- Working within a learning and skills development framework
- Feeding back and reporting
- Work with the Grower to ensure all volunteers and placements on site are safe, welcomed, valued and supported
- To attend regular Goodery Garden weekly meeting and other team meetings on a regular basis.
- Undertake other activities in support of Goodery, as appropriate
- Support the development of the Goodery Garden through promoting its aims at open days and within the local community
- Ensure work of the highest standard
- To support evaluation processes
- A passion for sustainable food production, and a desire to pursue a livelihood in it.
- At least 2 year's experience of paid gardening, agricultural or horticultural work
- Some experience of working on a food growing site through paid or voluntary work
- Gardening qualification Level 2 or above (or demonstrate equivalent horticulture knowledge)
- Good people skills, friendly, welcoming temperament
- Ability to supervise and explain tasks to volunteers
- Willingness to support the learning and development of trainees
- Happy to work outdoors throughout the year
- Ability to carry out shared tasks and work within a team
- Ability to work on own initiative, prioritise tasks and work to deadlines
- Ability to contribute to good record keeping
- Commitment to, and understanding of the aims of the Goodery Garden
- Knowledge of land management
- Experience of using machinery (rotavator/ walking tractor/ tractor)
- Experience of working to Soil Association Organic certification or equivalent
- Award in Education in Training - Qualification or experience of delivering training
- Ability to construct and ‘fix stuff’!
How to apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role and the person specification to email@example.com. A call to discuss any aspect of the job further would be welcomed (1603363808).